The following is a list of the most important changes to the PIA software since 2004.
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.5.20 (11-Aug-2016)
- Changes to default Australian tax scales
- Changes to default land tax scales in NSW, ACT and SA (see below)
- Change to default stamp duty scales in ACT (see below)
- Fixed a problem with Fittings/Chattels naming in depreciation template
- Cosmetic change to the Loan costs dialog when loan costs are paid in cash
- Direct changes to annual rent can now be made in any year
- Fixed an issue with the Cumulative Tax Liabilities graphic/report when partner included
- PIAPro default disclaimer has additional text to cover the provision of general information
- PIAPro standard Investment Analysis reports now exclude Investment Capacity component (still available in Customised Report)
- It is now possible to reset all settings to the program's original defaults.
- Changes to the default font selection
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.5.15 (10-Jul-2015)
- Changes to Land tax scales in NSW, ACT and WA
- Change to stamp duty scales in ACT
- Update to the default NRAS tax incentive
- Cosmetic change to the integrated Help
- Change to initial NZ settings
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.5.12 (16-Dec-2014)
- Cosmetic change to spreadsheet when projections restricted to one year only
- Fixed an issue with stamp duty calculated on land only
- Change to stamp duty scale for ACT
- Cosmetic changes for dealing with properties 100% in partners name
- Cosmetic change to reports regarding NANE income and NRAS
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.5.10 (31-Jul-2014)
- Changes to stamp duty scales for ACT and Tasmania
- Changes to land tax scales in NSW, ACT and WA
- Changes to Australian tax scales and medicare levy
- Incorporation of ACC Earner's levy in New Zealand tax scale
- NRAS: Update to default annual subsidy
- NRAS: Changes to tax treatment of compliance costs
- NRAS: Rental expenses apportioned to NANE income (State contribution) are now incorporated in the cost base for CGT calclulations
- Additional page added to the Who Pays report (cumulative income and expenses)
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.5.04 (11-Dec-2013)
- Update to Qld stamp duty scale
- Update to WA Land tax scale
- Easy access to PIA Quick Start Guide, PIA User Guide and PIA FAQ's (Help menu)
- Option to check for program updates (Help menu)
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.5.03 (30-Jul-2013)
- Update to ACT stamp duty scale
- Revised the program behaviour for displaying Annual Cash Surplus as the spreadsheet bottom line
- Fixed an issue with the display of tax credit calculations in the Cash Flow report
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.5.02 (16-May-2013)
- Update to default annual NRAS subsidy
- Update to NSW Land tax threshold
- Minor changes to various reports
- Cosmetic change to Report menu
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.5.01 (24-Apr-2013)
- Added Super Fund (SMSF) and Company as well as Person(s) as investor types (Investor details dialog) to make it a much simpler process for analysing property investment through other entities.
- Added an SMSF Options dialog (Settings menu) for managing the various variables associated with property investment through a self-managed superannuation fund. These include variables that apply when an SMSF is in pension phase.
- Revised the NRAS Options dialog (Settings menu) to make it easier to compare the cash flow on similar NRAS and non-NRAS properties.
- Added an NRAS Tax Incentive dialog (under NRAS Options dialog) to enable apportionment of tax deductions to account for non-assessable non-exempt (NANE) income.
- Fixed an issue with the Credit Line model in the Wealth Builder when dealing with existing portfolios that include properties that had also been financed under credit lines.
- Fixed an issue with automatic recalculation of building depreciation when dealing with a house and land package.
- Added several new worked examples to the Tutorial section of the integrated Help file (Help menu/Help Topics) to cover the use of an SMSF, NRAS properties, house and land packages, accelerated home loan repayment and the use of the Linked Loan spreadsheet.
- Fixed an issue with correct indexing of NRAS tax credits under a credit line model
- Fixed the graphical display of Who Pays in a pdf report when its 100% tenant.
- Fixed the model behaviour when using a credit line under a linked loan (Settings menu/Linked Loan Options)
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.3.50 (29 Aug 2012)
- Changes to stamp duty and land tax scales in the ACT
- Changes to stamp duty scales in Qld
- Fixed an issue with the collation of future portfolios and their application in the Wealth Builder
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.3.45 (21 May 2012)
- Australian tax scales updated (removal of flood levy, changes to low income tax threshold rules, etc)
- Changes to stamp duty scales (Tas)
- Changes to Land Tax threshold (NSW)
- Update to default NRAS tax credit
- Fixed an issue with printing/pagination with certain fonts and program options
- Added an option for including additional notes in property description in reports
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.3.40 (20 Jan 2012)
- Added tax scale options for self-managed super funds and companies
- Added an option to display the annual cash surplus as the bottom line in the Investment Analysis spreadsheet
- Added an associated dialog for when the annual cash surplus is displayed (clicking on the figures in the spreadsheet shows their derivation in a pop-up dialog)
- Added associated dialogs for rental income and expenses in the Wealth Builder
- Fixed an issue in the NRAS options dialog where year 10 rents displayed incorrectly when NRAS had already been set
- Fixed an issue of conventions in displaying Cost/(Income) per Week in the Investment Analysis reports when cash flow is negative
- Added an option in the Property Value dialog for calculating stamp duty on land price only (applicable in house & land package investments)
- Changed the behaviour for projecting property values when the projected property value is over-written
- By default, when NRAS is selected, the rental agents commission is now calculated as a percentage of the market rent rather than the discounted rent.
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.3.35 (30 Aug 2011)
- Fixed an issue with capitalised interest in a portfolio
- Changes to NRAS defaults
- More changes to Land Tax scales in NSW and SA.
- First year expenses now always integrated with Rental Expenses
template, irrespective of whether annual expenses are set for indexing
- Current file version (as opposed to Program version) also displayed
in About PIA dialog
- Updates to PIA Quick Start Guide and integrated PIA Help examples,
using latest tax and stamp duty scales
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.3.30 (08 Jul 2011)
- Changes to Australian tax scales to accommodate the Flood Levy
- Changes to stamp duty scales in Queensland and Northern Territory
- Changes to Land Tax scales in NSW and SA.
- Depreciation detail added to Cash Flow report
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.3.22 (12 Nov 2010)
- Fixed a problem with page offsets in report files (pdf format).
- Changes to the Tax Variation analysis under NRAS (excludes NRAS tax credits)
- Fixed a problem to ensure manual changes to Low Income Tax Offset parameters are saved
- Cosmetic changes to correct "Total Deduction" title in the Personal details dialog
- Changes to the program to make it more compatible with Macintosh computers under Codeweavers Crossover for Mac
To run PIA (or any other Windows program) on a new Macintosh, we recommend a simple inexpensive system called CrossOver by CodeWeavers which is built on a technology called WINE. It does not require a copy of Windows and our tests so far have all proven to work perfectly.
Codeweavers are offering a 20% discount to PIA owners. You can trial it before you buy it and the cost
is (I think) very reasonable (< US$40).
For PIAFpu the link is... http://www.codeweavers.com/via/piafpu
For PIAPro the link is... http://www.codeweavers.com/via/piapro
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.3.20 (27 July 2010)
- Changes to Australian Tax Scales, including the Medicare levy and Low Income Tax Offset.
- Changes to New Zealand Tax Scales.
- Changes to Land Tax Scales in Qld, NSW, SA and Tas.
- Changes to New Zealand building and chattels depreciation rates.
- Additional options for the Linked Loan model
- Update to NRAS defaults and additional NRAS labelling in reports
- Clarification of option for quarantining tax losses.
- Updates to Help documentation, Quick Start Guide and User Guide
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.3.01 (29 November 2009)
- Correction to facilitate the printing of a specified page range of a report
- Changes to allow individual changes to NRAS settings
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.2.50 (25 June 2009)
- Changes to Australian tax scales including the incorporation of the Low Income Tax Offset
- Changes to Land tax scales for NSW & WA
- Changes to Investment Capacity dialog & report to better reflect the earlier change allowing an apportionment of rental deductions for private use
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.2.41 (18 May 2009)
- Enabled National Rental Affordability Scheme option to apply to multiple properties
Changes to PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.2.40 (27 April 2009)
- Update to New Zealand tax scale
- New feature to model impact of National Rental Affordability Scheme (Australia)
- Added ability to apportion percentage of investment expenses to private use
- Full Investment Capacity report now available when accessed from Wealth Builder
- Portfolio report also now available when accessed from Wealth Builder
- Years displayed in spreadsheets are always reflected in reports, even when blank.
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.36 (10-Jul-08)
- Update to Australian tax scale
- Updated PIA Quick Start Guide (pdf version)
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.35 (10-Jun-08)
- Changes to Australian & NZ tax scales
- Changes to Stamp duty scales in Qld, Vic, WA & NT
- Changes to Land tax scales in Qld, Vic & WA
- Changes to program defaults to better reflect changes in current
- Additional graphic report (Graphic menu) showing weekly averages for
net costs compared to equity growth over the projected period for the
- Fixed an issue with the display of Home Loan term in the Wealth
Builder spreadsheet under certain conditions
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.32 (04-Mar-08)
- Fixed an issue where no printer is installed
- Changes to land tax threshold in NSW
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.30 (12-Dec-07)
- Addition of a Holding costs variable (most applicable in house and land packages)
- Currency symbol option (most applicable in UK and European applications)
- CGT calculations now accommodate the situation where tax losses are carried forward
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.25 (11-Sep-07) and PIAPkt 1.020 (11-Sep-06)
- Changes to land tax scales NSW, Vic & WA, & stamp duties in Qld
- Changes to NZ defaults for depreciation rates
- Fixed an issue with displaying both logo and property image in pdf
- Reformat of Current Taxable Income dialog and data entry for
- Remaining home loan term now displayed in Wealth Builder
- Reformat of Help files for compatibility with Vista O/S
- Updated PIA Quick Start Guide
- Updated PIA User's Guide
- Added scrolling to main screen to accommodate small-screen devices (PIAPkt)
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.21 (02-Jul-07)
- Changes to default Australian tax scales.
- Changes to NSW land tax calculator.
- Minor change to portfolio creation procedure.
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu 7.2.20 (08-Mar-07)
- Added a split-rate loan facility under loan types (Interest and Loan
Type dialog). This change has been made in response to a relatively new
loan product in which a portion of the interest is capitalised in the
first few years and the remaining portion paid as interest only.
- Cosmetic changes to some report formatting (Cash flow, Rate of Return, Investment Loan Payments).
- Added Internal Rate of Return (if sold) as a bottom line option for Investment Analysis spreadsheet(Settings/menuPreferences) and
to the body of the related reports.
- Changed starting years shown on input dialogs to be a chronological sequence (1,2,3,4,5) rather than as the sequence shown on the related spreadsheet.
- Fixed the Help reference from the Interest rate button in the Home Loan Analysis spreadsheet
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.11 (29-June-06)
- Changes to depreciation rates under effective life rules (Australia).
- Changes to Land Tax thresholds and scales (Qld, NSW, Vic, WA)
- Fix to home loan payments
- Updated Quick Start Guide & PIA Help documentation
- Fix to changing variables from Report view
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.08 (16-May-06) and PIAPkt 1.019 (06-Jun-06)
- Updated tax scales (from 2006/07 financial year).
- Changes to Qld Stamp Duty scales (from 2006/07 financial year)
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.07 (21-Feb-06)
- Fix to Multiple Properties report (Investment Capacity / Full Report).
Changes in PIAPkt 1.018 (06-Dec-05)
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.06 (13-Sep-05)
- Minor fix to Cash Flow Analysis report (if marginal tax rate is chosen to calculate tax credits).
- Minor fix to Custom Report (if Rate of Return report is included).
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.05 (16-Jun-05)
- Tax scales (Australia) changed for 2005/06.
- Land tax scales changed for Qld, Vic, SA, WA, ACT, Tas
- Changes to building depreciation rates (NZ)
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.03 (28-Apr-05)
- W.A. stamp duty scales have been updated (they have actually been reduced!)
- Minor formatting changes to Descriptive Investment Report (holiday letting)
- Changes to Who Pays graphic report in relation to capitalised interest and expenses
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.02 (24-Feb-05)
- A company logo can now be inserted into report
headings (PIAPro only)
- Refinements to portfolio collation for various
- Changes to calculation of break-even parameters
under a P&I loan
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, 7.2.01 (15-Dec-04)
- Undo/Redo facility has been added
- Photographs can be loaded into the interface and used in reports
- A personally customised report has now been added
- Reports can now be saved or emailed in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format
- A land tax calculator (to cover all Australian States) has been added
- More analytical information is now made available (e.g. initial
investment required to break-even in first year; years required to
break-even, gross & net yield, cash on cash option)
- The data entry check list is now much more extensive (four-pages)
- Your investment portfolio information can now be saved with the PIA file.
- IRR more precise (monthly calculations over all time frames)
- Additional reports have been added (e.g. Wealth Builder) and the report
menu restructured (many reports are now accessed from more logical parts
of the program)
- A revised PIA Quick Start Guide has been released
- A revised PIA Users Guide has been released
Changes in PIAPkt 1.017 (24-Feb-05)
- IRR calculations more precise (monthly
calculations over all time frames)
- Problem with cash flow graphic presentation with
P&I loans now fixed
- Minor spelling typo now fixed
Changes in PIAPro, PIAFpu, PIAPer Edition 7.0.20, PIAPkt 1.016 (3-Jun-04)
- Changes to default Australian Tax Scales (effective 1 July, 2004)
- Changes to Selling Costs item (Settings menu) to cater for new NSW
stamp duty tax on sale
- Fixed problem with transfer of Pocket PC files to Desktop versions
- Fixed stamp duty label in Purchase Costs dialog (PIAPkt)